In this Visio tutorial, we show you how to add swimlanes to a flowchart.
Want to add swimlanes to your flowchart?
Here’s how to move them, change their size, and create the flowchart.
Visio – How to Add Swimlanes to a Flowchart
- Open Visio.
- In the Shapes window, in the Cross-Functional Flowchart Shapes stencil, drag a Swimlane shape onto the diagram.
- The label bar says Function by default. Double-click it and change the text.
- Drag more swimlanes onto the diagram.
- Drop them when you see the orange connection indicator appear where you want the swimlane to go.
- Drag process shapes into the correct swimlanes. When the shape is contained in the swimlane, it shows a green highlight.
How to Change a Swimlane’s Width
If you need to change the width of any swimlane:
- Drag the swimlane’s separator line.
- Drop when it’s the width you want.
Tip: Drag the swimlane’s end line to make it longer or shorter.
How to Change a Swimlane’s Position
Here’s how easy it is to move swimlanes up or down on the flowchart.
- Click the label bar – a grey highlight appears around the swimlane.
- Drag the swimlane until the orange connection indicator appears.
Tip: Shapes in the swimlane are also moved with it.
How to Delete a Swimlane
Let’s get rid of him.
To delete a swimlane:
- Click the label bar. A grey highlight appears around the swimlane.
- Press Delete.
Tip: This also deletes the shapes it contains.