Risk Management Plan Template (MS Word/Excel)
You can use this Risk Management Plan to identify, evaluate and prioritize risks during the software development lifecycle.
Use this template to:
- Identify and understand the risks to which your project is exposed.
- Create an effective plan to prevent losses or reduce impact.
- Prioritize risks and take the appropriate actions to reduce losses.
- Protect the reputation and public image of your organization.
- Reduce legal liability and increase the stability of operations.
Risk Managers uses this information to prepare mitigation actions and contingency plans in order to counteract the potential impacts these risk may have on the project’s success.
Here’s are five steps to help you build your Risk Management Plan.
1. Risk Identification – the Risk Manager conducts risk identification meetings and uses the Risk Identification report and questionnaire to assist with initial identification of risks.
2. Risk Analysis – this involves categorizing risks, impact analysis, risk reviews, risk acceptance and updating the Risk Log.
3. Risk Response Planning – next plan mitigation activities, contingency activities, and review the risk action plans.
4. Risk Plan Implementation – once these are established, monitor trigger events, execute the action plan, and update the Risk Log.
5. Risk Tracking, Monitoring & Control – this stages concerns how the risk is progressing, as well as mitigation/contingency strategies that have been executed. When changes to the risk occur, repeat the cycle of identify, analyze, and plan.
Risk Management Plan Template: Blue Theme
This Risk Management plan is updated and expanded throughout the development life-cycle as the project increases in complexity and risks become more defined. The Risk Management Plan is part of the System Concept Development Phase in the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
Risk Management Plan Template: Red Theme
The following screenshots are of the Red Theme. The contents of this file are the same as the Blue theme.
5 Free Excel Risk Management Plan Templates
Risk Management Plan Template: Table of Contents
1.5 Risk Management Approach
2 Risk Identification
2.1 Conducting Formal Risk Identification Reviews
2.2 Conducting Informal Risk Identification
2.3 Documenting Risks
2.4 Validating Risks
3 Risks Analysis
3.1 Categorize Risk
3.2 Impact Analysis
3.3 Review Risk v Risk Tolerances
3.4 Review Risk Analysis and Ranking
3.5 Risk Acceptance
3.6 Update Risk Log
4 Risk Response Planning
4.1 Plan Mitigation Activities
4.2 Plan Contingency Activities
4.3 Review Risk Action Plans
4.4 Update Risk Log
5 Risk Plan Implementation
5.1 Monitoring Trigger Events
5.2 Executing Action Plan
5.3 Updating the Risk Log
6 Risk Tracking, Monitoring & Control
6.1 Reporting Risk Status
6.2 Reviewing Changes to Risk Profiles and Action Plans
6.3 Retiring Risks
7 Risk Management Milestones
8 Risk Communications
8.1 Status Meetings
8.2 Lessons Learned
8.3 Escalate Risks
9 Roles and Responsibilities
9.1 Project Office
9.2 Project Sponsor
9.3 Other Participants
10 Contractor’s Role in Risk Management
10.1 Contractor Risk Management Plan
10.2 Contractor Participation in Risk Management
12 Tools, Techniques & Reports
12.1 Risk Management Software
12.2 Risk Management Reports
13 Glossary of Terms
Product Contents & Format
The template pack includes the following documents:
|2 x Risk Management Plan templates||24 pages|
|Risk Assessment Checklist||1 x worksheet|
|Risk Assessment Questionnaire||1 x worksheet|
|Risk Log||1 x worksheet|
|Risk Register||1 x worksheet|
|Risk Response Plan||1 x worksheet|
File Format: The templates are in Microsoft Word (.docx) and Microsoft Excel (.xlsx) format.
Opening the Files: You don’t need any special software to unzip the files. To unzip the files, right click on it, then select Extract, and save it to your computer.
Getting Started: Depending on your MS Office settings, the files may say Read Only when you open them. If this occurs, click File, Save As and save the files. There are no security settings on any of the files.
Images: All of the images in the templates are copyright free.