Contingency Plan Template. 20-page in MS Word and 9 Excel spreadsheets. Includes helpful explanatory text that walks you through the process of setting up your first contingency plan project. You can change everything in the document – text, images, and tables. There are no special plug-ins, macros, or installation files. Just download the templates and get started.
What is a Contingency Plan?
A Contingency Plan is a formal document that outlines the steps to be taken to control an emergency or disaster. Contingency planning provides a template on how to prepare for a disaster scenario, the steps to take, and its relationship to other parallel activities, such as disaster recovery procedures.
How can you use a Contingency Plan?
The purpose of a Contingency Plan is to help you return to daily operations after an emergency or disaster scenario.
A Contingency Plan helps Operations Managers to:
- Assign responsibilities
- Identify key staff
- Minimize customer inconvenience
- Protect resources
- Prepare budgets
- Prepare an action plan
Who uses a Contingency Plan?
This template was written for the following:
- Senior staff members responsible for contingency planning, including funding to develop, test and maintain the plan.
- Contingency plan coordinator or manager responsible for developing and maintaining the plan.
- Operations Managers, especially those who may be new to this area and are looking for a little direction on how to get started.
- In a small business, this person may be the owner or a senior line manager.
- The forms, checklists, and spreadsheets will also help you get up to speed fast.
Table of Contents
The Table of Contents of each Contingency Plan template contains the following sections:
1.1. Document Overview
1.4.1. Planning Principles
1.5. Relationship to other plans
2. Concept of Operations
2.1. System Description
2.2. Line of Succession
2.4. Testing and Maintenance
2.4.1. Tabletop Testing
2.4.2. Technical Testing
3. Notification and Activation Phase
4. Recovery Operations
4.1. Recovery Goal #1
4.2. Recovery Goal #2
4.3. Recovery Goal #3
5. Return to Normal Operations
5.1. Original or New Site Restoration
5.2. Concurrent Processing
5.3. Plan Deactivation
6. Appendix A: Contingency Plan Approval
7. Appendix B: Definitions
7.1. Definitions, Acronyms, and Abbreviations
You also get nine spreadsheets to help track, plan, and monitor the progress of different QA tasks. Here are some examples of the excel spreadsheets that you get.
Note that the first tab is the Table of Contents. If you click on the links on it, it opens each of the spreadsheets.
Use this checklist to capture the decisions that need to be made to contain a disaster scenario and implement the contingency plan. Identify the categories that will be affected, such as Organisation or User groups, then identify the risk, the likelihood of this occurring, and the difficulty of making a decision.
Enter the number of days to complete the tasks.
In this example, the min number of days is 1, the max 10. This means that a Red arrow is shown for tasks that, on average, tasks that take less than four days; yellow means they are on track, and Green ahead of schedule. You can change the numbers to suits your needs.
In each column you add your own risks, instead of the ones listed.
State here the value of the risk: probability of occurrence * impact.
Remove the X (sample placeholders) and enter an x if a risk is still open.
Color these cells Red is the risk is closed or Green if it’s still open.
Contingency Plan spreadsheet
We also show you how to apply conditionally formatting to your spreadsheets, including adding status icons.
The Contingency Plan template is 20 pages in MS Word, 3962 words, and written in US English.
- Page Count – 20 Pages
- Word Count – 3962 words
- Language – US English
File Formats & Contents
The templates are in Microsoft Word and Excel format.
- Contingency Plan Template Blue Theme in MS Word .DOCX format.
- Contingency Plan Template Red Theme in MS Word .DOCX format.
- Contingency Plan Template in MS Word .DOT format.
- Contingency Plan Template PDF Sample.
9 x MS Excel spreadsheets
- Risk Log
- Risk Register
- Risk Plan
- Status Report
- Document Plan
- Failure Analysis
- Contingency Plan Budget