Use these Concept Proposal templates to create the first documents in the Software Development Life Cycle.
The Concept Proposal identifies the need or opportunity to improve a business function by highlighting where strategic goals are not being met or performance can be improved. The Concept Proposal should demonstrate that this is a worthwhile investment and identify potential impacts on systems, staff, and operations. This document forms part of the Initiation Phase.
Use this template to:
- Persuade stakeholders to invest in the proposed solution
- Highlight where strategic goals can be realized
- Justify why this proposal should be endorsed
- Explain the rationale behind the nominated products/services
- Show how the proposal aligns with the Strategic Plan
Here’s are seven steps to help you build your Concept Proposal.
- Context – Discuss the business drivers that triggered this document.
- Investment – Identify the type, timing and source of investment required for this proposal.
- Impact – Describe the potential impact the proposed solution may have on a technical, operations, and human resource level.
- Needs – Highlight the appetite that exists for the proposed solution. Identify who requested the solution and what they have to gain from its implementation.
- Performance – Identify specific areas where performance does not meet expectations.
- Resources – Identify the sum total number of resources needed for the project, broken out by phase.
- Strategy – Describe strategic and operational benefits. Show how benefits are linked to key objectives.
Concept Proposal Template (MS Word): Blue Theme
Resource requirements chapter and Resource Loading matrix
In this chapter, we describe the Impacts and Outcomes
Concept Proposal Template (MS Word): Red Theme
The red theme version of the Concept of Operations template
Chapter 1, Introduction
Chapter 2, Strategic Alignment
Chapter 3, Investment and Costs
Chapter 4, Resource Requirements
Chapter 5, Impact and Outcomes
Concept Proposal Excel Spreadsheets
Performance Indicators excel spreadsheet
Responsibility Matrix Excel spreadsheet
Table of Contents
2 Strategic Alignment
2.2 Current Setup
2.3 Performance Measures
3 Investment and Costs
3.1 Description of Investment
3.2 Investment Support
3.3 Cost Estimates
4 Resource Requirements
4.1 Resource Identification
4.2 Resource Loading Chart
5 Impact & Outcomes
What’s included in the template pack
The templates are in Microsoft Word and Excel and can be downloaded online for only $4.99.
The template pack includes the following documents:
|2 x Concept Proposal templates||10 pages each|
|Performance Indicators||1 x worksheet|
|Responsibility Matrix||1 x worksheet|
File Format: The templates are in Microsoft Word (.docx) and Microsoft Excel (.xlsx) format.
Opening the Files: You don’t need any special software to unzip the files. To unzip the files, right click on it, then select Extract, and save it to your computer.
Getting Started: Depending on your MS Office settings, the files may say Read Only when you open them. If this occurs, click File, Save As and save the files. There are no security settings on any of the files.
Images: All of the images in the templates are copyright free