Google Webmaster Tools is one of the hidden secrets on Google. Use this to add your site directly to its index, verify that Google sees your site (and sub-domains), and also fix the errors it has identified. Split testing has shown me that sites indexed this way perform better than sites that rely on xml sitemaps. FYI you can also add sitemaps here.
How to Get Your Site Verified By Google
Blogs created in Blogger are automatically verified in Webmaster Tools. However, older blogs, WordPress and Typepad blogs are not automatically verified, and should be verified using the meta tag method.
To verify your Blogger / WordPress blog:
1. On the Webmaster Tools home page, click Add a site.
2. Enter your blog’s URL e.g. (http://ivanwalsh.blogspot.com) and click Continue.
3. On the Verification page, select the Meta tag verification method and copy the meta tag provided into your text editor.
4. Sign in to Blogger.com (or WordPress).
For Blogger, open the Dashboard, click the Layout link for the blog you are verifying.
5. On the Layout tab, click Edit HTML.
6. Paste the meta tag after the <head> element in the template HTML and click Save template.
7. On the Manage Verification page in Webmaster Tools, confirm that Meta tag is selected as the verification method, and then click the Verify
For WordPress and TypePad blogs:
8. Save the Google code to a HTML file.
9. FTP it to the root directory.
10. On the Manage Verification page in Webmaster Tools, confirm that Meta tag is selected as the verification method, and then click the Verify.
11. If successful, a message appears. Woohoo!
Where is Google Webmaster Tools
Did this work for you? Let me know if you have any problems.